Now many refrigerators have water filters installed. When you need to change the water filter, do you know how to start? Generally, if the refrigerator is a newer one, changings its filter is pretty easy and you can do the job very quickly. The first thing you need to do is to unscrew the old filter on the fridge. You don’t need to turn the water off first, because the water will be shut off once you take the filter out of your fridge. However, you’d better read the instruction book first to ensure it will shut off the water, or you need to make sure the water is shut off first before unscrewing it.
Well, there is another problem. If you are the first time to change its filters, where to get the replacement filter? If you don’t know its brand and model well, you can go to your local hardware store to buy a new one. You can take the old filter and find the one that matches up. And then buy the new one and take it home. I am prone to buy a new one online, because I can save some money. Some online retailers like Home Depot, Lowes, or Amazon offers an affordable price and if you buy more than 1 pack, you can get a discounted price. However, this is based on the fact that you know what you plan to buy and the one you buy can match your fridge.
The installation of twist-on filters and push in filters is different.
Twist on filters:
Generally, twist on filters are installed in the front bottom, the back or inside of your refrigerator. You can find it easily. The reinstallation process is straightforward:
- Take the old filter out of its housing by turning it a 1/4 turn counterclockwise
- Its knob will come off and put it on the new water filter
- Push the new water filter with the knob into the housing
- Lock it into position by turning a 1/4 turn clockwise
- Throw away the first gallon of water that dispenses from the new filter, which is helpful to make the carbon residue removed.
- The final step is very important. You’d better do this once the filter is ready. There is some carbon residue in the new filter and the final step can remove it.
Push In Filters
This kind of water filter is easy to change, because it needs no screwing.
- There is a button and once you push the button, you can easily take the old filter out.
- On the old filter, there is a cap. Take it off and put it onto the new filter.
- Push the new water filter into its position to lock it.
- Dispense a gallon of water and throw it away, to wash the new filter, because there is always some carbon residue in the new Refrigerator Water Filter.
If you need to purchase some inline water filters online, you can read our latest product reviews: Best Inline Water Filters.